Nottingham Labour wants to develop a thriving local economy where local businesses grow and prosper, money is spent in the local economy and there are jobs and careers available for local people. In the last four years some of the things we have achieved include:
- Supported 8000 people into work through the Nottingham Jobs Fund.
- Established Nottingham as one of the best UK cities for business start ups.
- Established a creative industries hub and a centre for excellence for environmental technology.
- Supported Nottingham College to secure £58million for a new City College Hub on Broadmarsh East site with construction underway.
- Revitalised Bulwell and Clifton town centre through transport investment and a targeted action plan.
We want to create an attractive and vibrantcity that has all the services people need, recognising the changing uses of the city centre and embracing the opportunities this presents. We’ll promote a thriving economy where businesses invest and prosper and our city and neighbourhoods are at their best. And this will ensure that Nottingham people benefit from more jobs and increased prosperity. Some of the things we will do if elected in May include:
- Redevelop the south side of the city centre, including completing the college, library and Broadmarsh carpark, bus station and shopping centre.
- Reduce the number of empty shops from 15% to below 10%% and return Nottingham to the top 6 retails rankings outside London.
- Bring 20 vacant sites back into use to provide employment opportunities for local people.
- Continue to guarantee a job, training or further education place for all 18-24 year olds.
- Ensure the development of at least 500,000 square feet of Grade A office space to encourage inward investment in the city.